Now That's Tasty!

Tuesday 28 June 2011

Raw de'fish'ient

Living in a land where sushi means "sashimi", I've been disappointingly stymied from one of my most favourite fillers due to a seemingly disproportionate disconnect between abundant quantity and market price.

I frequent several local sushi joints, at minimum once a week, back home. Over the past 15 odd weeks, however, I can tally the amount of tobiko, tuna, unagi and the overly infrequent salmon that I've ingested on one severed, 4-fingered hand.

Given the ubiquitous nature of sushi to the Toronto restaurant landscape, it pains me deeply to think of how fresh and frequent the short-haul shipments of flounder and red snapper fly around these parts, while prices remain unstomachably high.

I have managed to find an almost decent excuse for chirasi (raw fish and fresh vegetables on sushi rice) but the hunt is still on for the perfect catch.


No comments:

Post a Comment