Now That's Tasty!

Saturday 12 July 2014

Mandarin Restaurant Turns 35

Walking in to a Mandarin Restaurant is nostalgic. The emerald and gold carpeting leads you to the host’s station as instrumental Muzak plays through the speakers. Their welcome is almost as inviting as the aroma of the buffet, which calls to you immediately as you pass en route to your table. My salivary glands immediately become active and my self-loathing is pushed as far from my mind as possible – I know I’m about to go overboard.


For 35-years, Mandarin has been enticing indulgent Canadians with their array of all you can eat offerings. What I immediately think of as a Chinese buffet has evolved to incorporate the ethnic cuisine of our country’s diverse cultural mosaic. Cantonese style lemon chicken and sweet and sour spareribs, chow mein noodles and beef with broccoli, they’ve got that. But sushi and now sashimi, they’ve got that, too. And pizza, and prime rib, and salads and sweets, yeah, they’ve got it all.

Though their steamed snow crab legs, deep fried tornado shrimp and wonton soup could independently satisfy me, there’s always one more thing I have to sample. The latest addition to the spread is a selection of Canadian favourites as an ode to the country that’s supported them for three and a half decades.

Endless Snow Crab Legs
Mmmm... Lemon Chicken
So up until July 31st you can gorge yourself on poutine, tourtière, maple-glazed salmon, bison cabbage rolls and a collection of Canadian desserts. Personally, I found it hard to stray too far from my endless plates of crab legs on a recent visit (there were many plates!), but when it comes to the Mandarin it’s all about the variety, after all.


As I waddled out of the restaurant following three solid hours of feasting, I was reminded of that other familiar feeling – fullness.

No comments:

Post a Comment