Now That's Tasty!

Sunday 8 May 2011

Parental Ovation

Behind every good chef there is another great chef, and behind most great individuals there tends to be good parents. Now, I'm not saying that I'm any sort of special human, but I am fortunate enough to have two very special parents--both of whom know how to maneuver their way around a kitchen!

My mother is notorious for making the best soups in our family, a mean meat sauce and some ridiculously good roast chicken and potatoes, amongst a long list of other delights; she can execute these recipes time and time again with flawless precision and unparalleled taste quality. My father, on the other hand, a miracle worker on the grill and a man of many meats, is not one for the recipe book. His approach to cooking is much more like mine, and consists of sifting through the fridge and scouring the spice rack to pair ingredients and concoct meals.

While I have adopted many of the recipes that my mother uses in order to treat myself to some of the comforts of home when I am away, the vast majority of my meals are conceived and executed on a whim. I always choose to buy fresh, and will frequently find myself at the grocery store several times a week. When shopping, it is always important to make sure what you're buying will go well together, however, I tend to leave preparation and presentation to my cooking mojo--allowing my mood and available means dictate how things end up on my plate.

A meal made for a queen
Returning to the focus of this post, I have been deeply blessed with an ability to eat, enjoy, and understand great food through the efforts and abilities of both of my parents...and of course, a healthy obsession with the Food Network. And being that it is Mother's Day, I feel that it is only fitting to feature a meal (right: Lamb Osso Bucco with a sherry grapefruit sauce, crispy potato latkes and grilled baby zucchini) that my father proudly sent me this morning, that was cooked up especially for the most deserving woman on this planet, my mother.

My mother is amongst, if not the most, caring, compassionate, kind and hard working person that I know. I know you all love your mother's, some of whom I know, and believe me they are truly great women too, but I'm sorry to say that they're no Heather Finestone! So, here we go, the sensitive side comes out...Mom, I miss you very much today and love you dearly. I hope that in the absence of both of your children, you still had an amazing Mother's Day!

Here's to you and all that you do.

1 comment: