Now That's Tasty!

Tuesday 15 March 2011

Lost In Translation

Originally composed: March 4, 2011 (~2:00pm @ 30,000 feet)


My first case of Asian food envy came quickly, along with a minor and mediocre language struggle. 


For my first meal on the airplane I was offered the following, somewhat inaudible options: "Bibimbap, meat...beef?" While there should have been no hesitation nor drastic confusion, I attempted to question whether the Bibimbap also contained beef; somewaht of a logical question for a guy who'se only experience with the dish came many years prior, and who had now inconveniently forgotten that said dish was almost always of vegetarian nature. 


The bop was clearly the better choice...as going local always is, not to mention that you are NEVER to choose any option referred to simply by a broad category of "meat". Nevertheless, I chose the beef. My decision was more than just a slip in better judgement but a succession of effort on my part to try and get the answer I was looking for from the flight attendant. After several misinterpreted lines of questioning, mixed with my desire to not waste any more of her valuable time, I caved. Accepting the mystery dish from her already outstretched arm I knew just what was in store: instant food envy of the girl sitting next to me and all the other Bibimbapians on the airplane. 


Lesson Learned #1:
Be persistent in one's quest for the truth that one is seeking...or at least accept the embarrassment of changing one's mind before peeling back the foil to sure culinary disappointment.


Lesson Learned #2:
Airplanes are loud and are not the most conducive environment to break the language barrier.



(Actual photo not included)

1 comment:

  1. Oooo mystery meat mistakes...one of many to come, I'm sure.
    Persevere my broski! Sometimes what is originally a mystery turns out to be the most delicious discovery!

    PS. Those buns looked yummy. Jealous.

    ReplyDelete