Now That's Tasty!

Friday 9 September 2011

K-BBQ, I Heart You

Meat. Meat. Meat.

I hope I don't sound repetitive given my frequent oratories regarding the subject, but, there is so much to be said. The noble and neverending quest for the choicest of carnivorous cuts. To even attempt to overshadow such a simple yet profoundly important mission would be erronious. In constant pursuit for the purposes of personal passion, hunger, satisfaction; if I can lead but one more individual to their perfect bite—for the good of humankind.

If it's a simple carnal necessity to want meat, and more of it, it simply boggles my mind to think that too few know where to accrue it en masse. Sure, meat is everywhere. Your local grocer, the pub down the street, you've probably got a stack of steaks catching freezer burn in your very own home. But, where do the limits of your meat meals lie? Probably, before the limits of your appetite.

Too often I find myself trying to scrape the paint off my own plate for another forkful of food. Longingly eye-fucking the half-eaten tenderloin on the dish across from from me, waiting for my dining partner to throw in the towel so I can scour the remains. While my comportment may appear unbecoming in the minds of those reading this, understand that such seemingly ravenous behavior is carried out with great respect for those who dine with me. Along with such respect comes a great curiosity for what's keeping them from doing and thinking the same way as I do. I'm but a man, with a large appetite that is seldom satisfied until I'm overly satisfied. I do not only eat with the intention of stuffing myself. I eat because it tastes good...hopefully, really, really good. Furthermore, why should I stop if I've not broken through the seal of my belly button? Especially if there's still food in front of me. I am not a large man either, yet, I do not possess a very parsimonious disposition when the chow bell chimes. Sit me alongside your burliest mate and I'll likely eat him under the table.

Back home, believe me, I know where to patronize should I want to indulge in a nearly-never-ending assortment of gastronomical delights. Exercising in mild forms of gluttony is how we all treat ourselves once in a while, however you choose to do it. But, here in Korea, it is all too easy to get carried away. I'm hardly being careless, yet, it's impossible to decline an invite to a good old fashioned Korean BBQ restaurant when it comes your way. It also takes little convincing to corral my crew into accompanying me whenever my cravings kick in.

A tame table by K-BBQ standards & samgyeopsal and pig skin on the grill
There is no prerequisite for a restaurant to claim "All You Can Eat" status when you can fill up your tank with mountains of meat for anywhere from W8,000-20,000 (including beers). Yet, once you toss out the classic, one meat per grill, per order (which is strictly enforced and far different from my K-BBQ experiences back home) and replace it with the glory of an "All You Can Eat" price tag and a fully loaded locker of meat, you know we 'bout to be gettin' after it! Samgyeopsal, and samgyeopsal, and samgyeopsal, and samgyeopsal (translated: bacon strips, and bacon strips, and bacon strips, and bacon strips...)


Samgyeopsal (pork belly: literally translated "three (sam) layered (gyeop) flesh (sal)" for the three visible layers of meat and fat), dweji bulgogi (spicy marinated pork bulgogi), galbi (beef ribs), chadol baki (thin sliced brisket), deungshim gui (beef sirloin), anshim gui (beef tenderloin), dahk galbi (barbeque chicken), intestines of cow, ox, pig, chicken, pig skin, sausages, sausage patties, sauce on, sauce off, grill your own hand and gnaw on it for all I care; when it comes to eating meat 'round these parts, we don't take kindly to those who ain't down for the feast. Once you've grown accustomed to the process and the various intricacies that go along with grilling each cut, there are no limits to what one can accomplish at the dinner table. The grills come in various shapes and sizes, the sides may differ and cooking techniques conflict, but we're really all here for one thing.

Bottom line, if you're feeling like you're life is even marginally incomplete--maybe it's time you got on the meat.

Who needs a hostess when you're greeted with THAT! 

A look inside the mind of a meatatarian 
Just some appies
A beautiful grill of  high quality samgyeopsal, button, oyster and king oyster mushrooms, kimchi, onions and marinated mung bean sprouts

No comments:

Post a Comment